Friday, October 21, 2011

Sentimental Sap

So tomorrow we are moving. We are leaving our home in Irvine and moving to a new place in Fullerton. Normally moves are exciting to me...I love the idea of reorganizing into a new place, decorating, and being in a new city. But this move is so hard. It might be because the new place is a significant downgrade from our current place in Irvine or because this home has such amazing and blessed memories of our family. This home is where we signed the check for our adoption application, we were here when we got the call that Amy decided us to parent Emsley, and it was here that we brought our long awaited daughter home and have watched her grow into this amazing little girl for the last 6 months. But regardless of what the reason, I just can't seem to stop crying.

Our new place is nice...great and quiet neighborhood. Fireplace, new kitchen and bathroom, a nice big patio, close to all our friends and closer to family, and we will be able to actually save money. We are a month or 2 away from being debt free and then the task of saving for buying our first home will actually happen. I've never been big into the idea that we have to buy a home. I have loved apartment living...someone else fixes stuff and even pays some of the utilities! But I think it has been since Emsley was born that I have a strong desire to make roots. To be able to look back years down the road and have beautiful memories that don't have to go away if rent is too high or if we need something else. I want to be the sentimental sap that I have totally become and do it freely in the comforts of my own home. I know that this next place is going to help us accomplish that and we will have some memories made there to cherish but long for that stability and groundedness.

But truthfully, I am trying to be grateful for having a home and even more, to have another one to be moving to. We are able to make rent every month and eat and go out. I know we are blessed. I'm trying to remember that our lives could be so much harder but God has blessed us. And lastly, I want to always have the perspective that any home here on earth is not really my home...my home is with my Savior in Heaven...not that is being grounded and on a firm foundation to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment